Friday, July 1, 2011

Learning to See and Name Gifts

I've been inspired to open my eyes and see not what I want but what I have.

I didn't realize that so much of what I think about and journal about (in my private journal) relate to the future. I am always dreaming about future projects and goals. It's not necessarily a bad thing, since the ability to have vision for the future can be a great motivator in life. And, plus, creative people must, by definition, have a visionary mindset. They must be able to see or envision what does not yet exist.

But I also want to be a joyful person filled to the brim with gratitude for the things that surround me every day. I really want to see every blessing from God and not miss it.

So I must learn to take the time and see the blessings, to name them, to count them, and to record them.

I plan on reading the book One Thousand Gifts: Learning to See and Name Them by Ann Voskamp, once it becomes available at the library. That's the book whose quotes are inspiring me. I'm sixth in line, so it won't be until a few months from now...but I'm so happy to be able to read free books at the library!

Until then, I'm starting my record of one thousand gifts right away, because gratitude and joy start the moment I think of a gift He's given. I think I will kick it off here, and post occasionally some highlights from my journal. Without further ado...These are the gifts I have been given:

1. The privilege of borrowing virtually any book I wish to read from the library

2. Having a view of trees, flowers, animals and people from our dining table every mealtime

3. Successful potty training with Noelle

4. The cool, night breezes of summertime in Los Angeles

5. Hearing Noelle say, "I love you" and "Goodnight" every night before bed



I encourage you to read the blog post that inspired me to thankfulness. It's truly uplifting, especially if you struggle with getting discouraged in the daily grind of life, like me. Some days I can't see past the dirty dishes and runny noses, the diapers, the laundry, the fatigue. But my spirit has been so refreshed today by the simple practice of gratitude! I am excited to become a more grateful woman.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. We, too, are constantly reminding ourselves to appreciate the present and the many blessings that surround us. So glad to hear that you have so much to be grateful for! Thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete